The Alpha Insights team is building the world's premier space-based and super-high-res, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellite technology. Our mission is to pair Alpha's SAR-XL technology with a predictive analytics platform—delivering unprecedented global insights for precision agriculture, environmental monitoring, supply chain tracking, security, and more.
Alpha Insights' next-generation SAR satellite technology is designed to provide broad coverage and ultra-high-resolution data that can penetrate biomass, soil, and sand. This dual, X and L band, SAR features real-time processing and space-based AI for use in diverse applications—everything from farming to market research.
The Sr. FPGA/Embedded Systems Engineer will be responsible for the design and development of high-speed digital embedded systems at the heart of Alpha Insights’ next generation of remote sensing synthetic aperture radar satellites. Alpha Insights has a successful track record in leveraging the latest COTs devices for space applications.
The FPGA/embedded system engineer will
- Design and develop high-speed digital embedded electronics systems using the latest FPGA and highspeed ADC and DAC technologies
- Implement high speed VHDL IP blocks for Space based SAR
- Participate in all aspects of the project life cycle (requirements, design, development, testing, release, and maintenance).
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary technical team, participating in defining the overall payload and how the embedded electronics interface with the larger system
- Electronics design of high-speed digital circuits: schematic capture, PCB layout supervision
- Firmware design and implementation using VHDL
- Experience with latest FPGAs, microprocessors, soft microprocessors, System-on-Chips, including Xilinx Virtex/Zynq Ultrascale+, Microsemi SmartFusion2/PolarFire FPGA SoC
- Experience with radar/sonar systems development
- Experience with GHz class ADCs and DACs
- Embedded software development: C, C++, RTOS
- Implementation of high-speed digital interfaces such as Xilinx Aurora
- Mechanical and thermal design of space electronics units
- Effects of ionizing radiation on integrated electronics. Radiation testing and mitigation techniques
- Phased array systems, preferably synthetic aperture radar (SAR) systems and techniques
- Supervising the subcontract manufacturing of high-speed circuit boards and electronics assemblies
- 10+ years’ experience in digital signal processing, high speed digital design (500MHz and above)
- B.Sc. or higher in electrical or electronic engineering
- Radar experience is highly preferred
- Experience with designing for space applications