The Alpha Insights team is building the world's premier space-based and super-high-res, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellite technology. Our mission is to pair Alpha's SAR-XL technology with a predictive analytics platform—delivering unprecedented global insights for precision agriculture, environmental monitoring, supply chain tracking, security, and more.
Alpha Insights' next-generation SAR satellite technology is designed to provide broad coverage and ultra-high-resolution data that can penetrate biomass, soil, and sand. This dual, X and L band, SAR features real-time processing and space-based AI for use in diverse applications—everything from farming to market research.
The Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Algorithms Engineer, will be responsible for the design and development of processing and AI algorithms to be implemented in SpaceAlpha Insights’ (SAI) spaceborne high-speed digital processor. Working closely with an FPGA engineer, the SAR Algorithms engineer will research, design and model algorithms specific to SAR image formation, processing and exploitation which the FPGA engineer will implement in VHDL.
Essential Job Functions:
- Algorithm development based on existing SAI IP
- Modeling and simulation of algorithms in Matlab/Simulink
- Research state of the art SAR processing techniques
- Optimization techniques, especially for the efficient use of processor resources
- Participate in all aspects of the project life cycle (requirements, design, development, testing, release, and maintenance).
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary technical team, participating in defining the processor hardware requirements to implement the algorithms
- Algorithm design
- Strong research background ideally in remote sensing or machine vision
- Experience with image processing
- Good understanding of SAR systems and applications
- Implications and constraints on algorithms for implementation in FPGA hardware (VHDL)
- SAR processing algorithms
- Experience manipulating SAR imagery
- MASc. or higher in computer engineering, physics, math or equivalent
- Experience designing algorithms for FPGAs
- Experience with designing for space applications would be an asset not mandatory
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Self-starter, with the ability to manage set objectives and execute with minimum supervision
- Team player
- Ability to take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, planning and problem-solving skills
- Interest and flexibility in fulfilling multiple roles in a dynamic environment