The Alpha Insights team is building the world's premier space-based and super-high-res, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellite technology. Our mission is to pair Alpha's SAR-XL technology with a predictive analytics platform—delivering unprecedented global insights for precision agriculture, environmental monitoring, supply chain tracking, security, and more.
Alpha Insights' next-generation SAR satellite technology is designed to provide broad coverage and ultra-high-resolution data that can penetrate biomass, soil, and sand. This dual, X and L band, SAR features real-time processing and space-based AI for use in diverse applications—everything from farming to market research.
The Electronics Systems Engineer, Onboard Processor (OBP), will be responsible for the design and development of a high-speed FPGA based digital processor to be used for processing SAR data on-board Alpha Insights’ next generation of remote sensing synthetic aperture radar satellites.
Essential Job Functions:
- Based on the mission operations requirements develop the Architectural design of the OBP, followed by the detailed FPGA requirements that support the architecture
- Inter-Payload and Intra-OBP Interface definitions, requirements and design.
- FPGA internal block diagram
- Resource allocation to functional blocks
- Power requirements definition and optimization of the FPGA resources to meet the spacecraft power budgets.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary technical team, participating in defining the overall processor and how it will interface to higher level systems.
- Develop Intra OBP testing stragies, and test requirements and test plans.
- Participate in the Intersatellite interface test programs with focus on the FPGA needs and capabilities
- Electronics design of high-speed digital circuits
- Experience with latest FPGAs, microprocessors, soft microprocessors, System-on-Chips, including Xilinx Virtex/Zynq Ultrascale+, Microsemi SmartFusion2/PolarFire FPGA SoC
- Experience with GHz class ADCs and DACs
- Experience with complex FPGA designs and resource allocation
- Thermal design considerations for space electronics units.
- Knowledge of the effects of ionizing radiation on integrated electronics, radiation testing and mitigation techniques (not mandatory )
- B.Sc. or higher in electrical, electronic engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years’ experience in high-speed digital design (500MHz and above)
- Experience with designing for space applications (preferred, not mandatory)
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Self-starter, with the ability to manage set objectives and execute with minimum supervision
- Team player
- Ability to take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment